Sunday, August 8, 2010

Emma's Modge Podge Wall Hanging

So my wonderful friend Melody Ross taught me at Brave Girls Camp how to use modge podge to create art.  I had the amazing blessing to attend as staff-which was just amazing and I hope hope hope to go back as soon as our schedules allow! It was amazing, uplifting, spiritual, fabulous experiance that I will always hold close to my heart... and if you go to the website, she has these fabulous little messages that she sends out every day and you should sign up because they are fabulous!!! (I think I use that word an little too much)...umm back to the point My daughter has been wanting flower painting in her bedroom, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do some fun, stylized, pop type art. (which is fun but i don't really want in my living room)  And a perfect opportunity to give her something that reminded her whenever she saw it that she is loved and perfect just the way she is. So here is the finished product...


Photo 4-1
 

First I cut wood to the size I wanted - you can use canvas but I didn't have any ... but I did have wood so I used that -

Then I painted a base layer of paint -

On top of the paint I painted the bottom half -afterwards I wished I had done the top too- with modge podge and layed down tissue paper...


Photo 3
  

of course you put a layer of modge podge on the bottom and the top...

Then I painted another layer of paint.

While it was drying I cut out tons of different flower petals, laying them on the table as I went to see how it would look.

When the board was dry I used more modge podge and started laying down petals with the modge podge...


Photo 5
 ...  The awesome thing about this type of work is that you can do almost as many layers as you want.  This ended up being pretty 2 dimensional and kitchy art but it can also have a lot of depth and movement from all the textures and layers but that wasn't quite what I was going for a fun playful hanginPhoto-7

once I was done laying all that I wanted to modge podge... I added some fun little paint here and there, I did dots on some of the flowers and swirls on the background- which thinking about it now I should have done the swirls before I laid the flowers
 
Photo 3-3

When it was all dried and done I took about 10ish different ribbon, knotted them together, and stapled them with a staple gun onto the back.  And yes this is a piece of beadboard.  That all I had on hand so I used it and it worked!!   And also yes this photo is out of order, I couldn't seem to move it, so here it is in the middle of the process,...whoops!

Photo 3-2

Heres the fun swirlies... and some more dots around the swirlies...cause I wanted to..
  
Photo 5-1

Around the outside of the piece I painted a pink boarder- mainly because I never get things framed and so it helped finish the piece off, But what I was actually going with this is that inside the pink boarder I wrote in silver the many things that I adore about my oldest girl... creative, daring, zesty, adventurous, imaginative, thoughtful, lover of life, girlie... etc  I want her to look at the art and know that life is fun, optimistic and escpecially that she is loved and perfect just as she is.  Here is the pen that I used...
 
Photo-8

Then I hung it on the wall!!  
 
Photo 2-1

Photo-9

A little detailing... um above⤴   and below ⤵ I just wanted to point out that since i did do it all on beadboard I needed to hang it in a stud, so it has two hooks.  Next week I am going to be switching some rooms around in our house and at that point this will be moved to a new wall, hopefully that wall will have a stud exactly  where I want to hang it, and then I won't need two hooks! positive thinking!!!
  
Photo 4-1
 


Honestly, emma helped with it a little too much design wise and colors (which don't flow as much as I would like but she likes them and thats what counts) and I ran out of modge podge to do all the different layers and things that I wanted... melody gave an amazing example with soooany layers it was fabulous. But Emma loves it so that's what matters! (and the cool thing about modge podge is if you don't like it, layer over it...so I might fix some issues one day when I get the bug!  

(also i did one for my bedroom, and I'll show you when I get around to it)

Up next this week...jocelyns curtains, a new addition to my kitchen made out of an antique footboard and a tutorial on how to make bread

Brit



No comments:

Post a Comment