Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Swimsuit refashion!! Part 1

Not one thing is wrong with this suit, but it pulled up funky on the sides - alright you win, I'm lying, it was just too small in the length...which is weird cause I'm only 5'2-



Part 1- so we are having a garage sale this weekend and so....I'm cleaning out closets and dressers and such. On day 2 (yesterday) I went through my clothes. I opened my beloved swimsuit collection and began sorting. I figured there was at least a few that I could part with. Out of my 23, (I know that's a rediculous amount of swimsuits- but I LOVE them!!!) I found 3- 2 that dont fit well and one that's a hand-me-down from my mom, it's dang cute but highlights the stretch marks in my stomach- a big no no...



But instead of selling them, I just love them too much, so I'm refashioning them to fit!! Sadly all three were either tankini or one peice... I don't know about you but those are a hot commodity in my life. They are hard to find and even harder to find ones that are flattering, cute, sexy, and modest to boot. So it's with much deliberation that I made this one into a little bikini. (which I love but with kidos harder to wear)

Before....






image from http://sistersfriday.typepad.com/.a/6a0134854add45970c013485fae495970c-pi


First off I cut off the bottoms from the top at the point in which I thought would be high enough for the top of the bottoms...



Then I tried it on and decided it could NOT be a tankini...it highlighted the stretchmarks. So I cut off the top into a bikini leaving enough room to serge. Then I served the bottoms and the top...






image from http://sistersfriday.typepad.com/.a/6a0134854add45970c013485fae49b970c-pi


Then I cut the remaining middle section into 3 strips and sewed them together.






image from http://sistersfriday.typepad.com/.a/6a0134854add45970c0133f2d7401d970b-pi


Using my newly aquirred gathering foot I gathered and sewed the now one long strip onto the bottoms to make a cute little ruffle- okay I lied again- man I'm a little liar today- Jocelyn sod the whole gathering thing...her & I just got a new gathering foot and this was my first time using it. Long story short- me the machine, the gathering foot and the Lycra did NOT get along, I guess I'll have to practise on cotton :(

So sorry I digressed!



So Jocelyn sewed the gathering tucks together...






image from http://sistersfriday.typepad.com/.a/6a0134854add45970c0133f2d74039970b-pi





image from http://sistersfriday.typepad.com/.a/6a0134854add45970c0133f2d74049970b-pi


Done!!! Sooo easy and now I have another suit that I'll actually wear!



Weeellll, I did have 12 modest and 11 bikini but soon I will have only 9 modest and 14 bikini... I guess my kidos will have to make do with less variety- at least hubby will enjoy more variety. Although I don't think that in the entirity of this year we will go on enough dates, that require me to wear a swimsuit, to fullfill the amount of suits I have aquirred! But oh boy I do love them!!!!

Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment