Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Mom's Ruffle Skirt- who said little girls get all the fun??

who said little girls get all the fun??- I don't! I want to have a 

cute ruffly skirt like them- in fact while making this skirt my 5

year old daughter asked the skirt was for her and I was so 

excited to no it's for me!!! (besides it has no pink or purple in 

it- so she wouldn't wear it anyway -believe me - I've tried!


SO I have been wanting new clothes...which really is nothing

new but I decided actually do something about it! I think it is

strange that Kyle is pretty much content wearing the same few 

church outfit every week but I have 20 plus options to wear to

 church and I can't find a thing I feel like wearing. Why is that? 

Okay back to doing something about my pitiful (insert heavily 

sarcastic tone of voice here) clothing selection. I started it last 

sunday before church but realized that the hour I had while 

everyone was still sleeping was not long enough. So I had to 

finish it later, in time for next sunday :)


I pulled out all the long left over selections of fabric that I have

in my ever growing stash and picked out what I had the most 

of that coordinated and was pleasantly surprised with my option!  

Next I organized it from what I had the most of to what I had the

least of so that I could form what fabric I had enough of to cut 

into strips to make the lowest tiers.


Here is what I came up with...


Photo 2
 

The Top tier would be plain white because...well the skirt 

needed to be longer and the plain white would be covered up

with my shirt. The next tier is the tiny brown and white poke

a dot, I didn't have enough to make more that one strip so that

had to be my next selection, Then the turquoise, then the white... 

I had enough to make 2 strips with that and three strips with my 

bottom selection the big poke a dots...what luck-it worked! Of 

course if you are more prepared than I you can go out and buy 

fabrics that you would like in your skirt instead of being limited 

to your options:)


Then I measured my waist and cut an elastic piece that is the 

same size as my waist and sewed it into the white, then I 

gathered the brown slightly to match the white, matched the 

centers, pinned and sewed.


Photo 3
 

I did the same for each lower tier.


Photo 4
 

When the bottom tier was sewn on, I put right sides together and 

matched up all the teirs seems. And sewed in place.  


Photo 5
 

If you have a serger, serge the bottom. If you don't, you can do

what I did and wear it to church or wherever without a bottom

hem or finish... no one will even notice. Now I did bring it to my 

sister's house to use her serger, but while there I forgot to actually

use the desired serger. So I wore it anyway!!


Photo
 

Enjoy!!

Brit



No comments:

Post a Comment