Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sunshine Daisy Quilt Tutorial

Soooo, I found a fun find on craigslist this week, a lady selling all of her grandmothers vintage material, granted what she had was an astounding amount of fabric , most of it was ugly ugly but I found a fun garbage bag full!!!  As soon as I found this yellow on yellow print an image popped in my head and I knew what i was going to make!  I call it the sunshine quilt!  


Photo 5
 

Please dont laugh at my process but this is how I make stuff... I dont tend to be very specific when I am first cutting, I cut more material than I need and then size it down to exactly what I need it to be once I lay it all out.

1. I cut out of the yellow on yellow about how large I wanted the baby quilt to be, (ended up being almost exactly a yard)

2.  Then I cut out of cream on cream print from the little old seamstress a rectangle that looked pleasing to my eye that would fit in the middle.
Photo

3. I cut out a TON of 3 inch wide and very long strips of all different creams and some of the yelllow print, and quite a few of long flower petals.

4. Then I laid them all out, with the rectangle in the center and flower petals forming an off centered flower in the middle and switching all the stripes around until I found what worked for me.

 Photo

5.  I sewed the 2 sets of 4 long strips together at 1/4 inch seam allowance), then the 2 sets of 4 short strips, (although this can be done in any order :)
Photo 3
 

6. Next up was the flower, a normal person uses wonder under ( a fabulous material that binds with an iron one fabric to another) but I didn't have wonder under and so I pinned that flower like it was going out of style!
Photo 2
 

7. Then slowly and carefully (which I am terrible at, I like to sew fast) I zig zagged around the petals, (you need to play with the zig zag a bit on some scraps before you find the right width and length and such)
Photo 3
 

8. Once that was sewn together I sewed the short sides to the flower rectangle and then finally the long stripes onto the rectangle (of course ironing my seams down as I went)


Photo 4

Photo 5
  

9.  Then I found the thinnest batting possible to fit between the back and the front  of the quilt.

10. I like the envelope finish the best when it comes to binding quilts, it just looks cleaner to me.  So you do this by laying down the right side of the back of the quilt facing up with the right side of the top of the quilt directly on top of it facing down (so right sides together) then placing the batting on top of the wrong side of the top of the quilt.. I hope that makes sense.. then pin
Photo 4
 

11. Sew along the outer edge, leaving at least a 6 inch gap in the middle of one side so that you can turn the quilt right sides out. I like to double pin the spot that i am going to leave open so that I remember to actually do it, half the time i forget!

12. Trim off all the left over egde, or serge it, then turn the quilt right sides out.
Photo 5
 

13. Once its turned facing out pin the edges so that the edge, when doing the finishing stitch looks straight and even, and clean. Making sure that the opening you left it tucked in together and looking like the rest of the edge, I pin this part really close together so that it says nice and perfect (at least that is the goal)

14. Do the finishing stitch around the outer edge very close (1/4 inch) , beautiful!

15. Then I pinned the center of the flower on top and did a zig zag around that,
Photo 2
 

16. And to keep the quilt from bunching in the wash, I did a bit of stitching in the ditch.

To stitch in the ditch just set you machine to sew a straight line and then as closely as possible stitch along the seamline from one end of the quilt to the other.  I did one row on each side of the quilt.  


Photo
 

And done!!!


Photo 4
 


Photo 5
  Wouldn't it just look so pretty in a room like this


Photo 2
or this...
Photo

FYI for those of you who live in eagle, this quilt was made for an auction that is going to be held at the Palmers house on Monday the 19th in the evening, it is a benefit BBQ and Auction for a friend that has cancer, to benefit his wife and children with all the expenses they have at the current time, if you want any more info give me a call and I hopefully gave help :)

Brit 



2 comments:

  1. Brit, thanks for all the work you are doing on this site, it is awesome. I love your design on the sunshine quilty, I love yellow- I have been without my machine for 7 weeks and I really miss it, I have lots of projects I want to do when I get home. And Threese did such a cute job on the cake, i bet her little girl just loves it. How are those kids doing?
    Na

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sooo much! I can't wait to see what you make, therese's kids are doing really good! They are so dang adorable! I Tried & tried to leave a comment and tell you that I used modge podge on the dresser to hold the fabric but for some weird reason it wouldn't let me, so ere you go, give a shout for modge podge!! I love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete